If you’re a foodie, there’s nothing quite like the aroma of freshly cooked biryani. Perfectly spiced chicken layered over fragrant, fluffy rice, chicken biryani reigns supreme for its perfect balance of flavors.
In this recipe, we’ll feature the Shan Biryani Masala Mix so you can skip some boring, time-consuming steps and focus on the fun parts of cooking like marinating your chicken, chopping your veggies, and layering your biryani. Whether you’re a pro or a novice chef, a Shan mix can definitely come in handy on busy weeknights or for last-minute guests.
For marinating chicken:
- 1 kg chicken
- 3 tablespoons Shan Biryani Masala Mix
- ⅓ cup yogurt
- 2 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
- 4 green chilies finely chopped
- 5 mint leaves finely chopped
- 5 coriander leaves finely chopped
- 2 cups basmati rice
- 1 tbsp salt added to rice water
- 4 tbsp vegetable oil
- 3 onions finely chopped
- 3 tomatoes finely chopped
Method of preparation
- Place chicken pieces in a large bowl and add 3 tbsp of Shan Biryani Masala Mix. Add yogurt, ginger-garlic paste, and green chilies sliced down the middle. Mix the ingredients well and marinate the chicken for at least an hour.
- Meanwhile, soak basmati rice in water for an hour. After an hour, bring a large pot of water to boil and add a tbsp of salt. Add the rice to the boiling water and cook until it’s mostly but not completely done.
- Heat oil and add onions in a pan. Cook until they’re golden brown and add the marinated chicken along with half a cup of water and some more yogurt. Cover the pot with a lid until the chicken is completely cooked with some gravy.
- Evenly spread a layer of partially cooked rice over the chicken and top with fresh coriander and mint leaves.
- Cover and cook on low heat until rice and chicken are tender. Mix well.
- Garnish with fried onions and coriander leaves. Serve while still hot with some yogurt on the side or a spicy mint raita of your choice.